Skip to main content
- Sallie Thieme Sanford, The Struggle to Bury Pre-Existing Condition Consideration, 7 St. Louis U. J. Health L. & Poly' 405. This short law journal article, published the year the ACA’s key access provisions went into effect, includes information about Washington State’s individual market in the 2000s.
- Recent newspaper articles summarizing the key political and practical issues Congress faces in trying to craft a replacement proposal for the ACA, e.g.:
- Robert Pear, Issues Facing Republicans in Replacing Affordable Care Act, N.Y. Times, Feb. 7, 2017.
- Noam N. Levey, Republicans divided over whether millions of Americans should lose government-subsidized health coverage, L.A. Times, Jan. 26, 2017.
- Anna Wilde Mathews & Louise Radnofsky, Health Care's Bipartisan Problem: The Sick Are Expensive and Someone Has to Pay; With Congress poised to repeal the Affordable Care Act, most lawmakers want to maintain coverage for people with pre-existing conditions--the available options all have downsides, Wall St. J., Jan. 12, 2017
- Tim Jost, First Steps of Repeal, Replace, and Repair, Health Affairs, Feb. 2017
- On December 2, 2016, House Republican leaders sent a letter to state governors and insurance commissioners asking for their input and recommendations related to health reform in the new Congress. Here are that letter, the response from Washington State’s governor and insurance commissioner, and the response from Florida’s governor.
- The Kaiser Family Foundation has posted a comparison of proposals to replace the Affordable Care Act, including
- The “Empowering Patients First Act” (the bill introduced by Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, MD when he was a representative)
- The “A Better Way” proposal (Representative Paul Ryan’s plan).
- If a prominent replacement bill is introduced it will also be summarized there.
- Julie Rovner & Francis Ying, A Guide to Budget Reconciliation: The Byzantine Rules for Disassembling the Health Law, Kaiser Health News, Feb. 6, 2017 (video with transcript)